Caldo Xochitl (Mexican Hot Flower Soup)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup vermicelli or fine egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole chicken breast cooked, julienned
- 2 green chiles, chopped
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced finely on a diagonal
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- Chopped cilantro
- Toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 1 avocado, sliced thin
- Break the pasta into 1/2-inch pieces and fry in the oil until it's brown.
- Drain and add to the stock, while it is simmering in a saucepan. Cook until just
tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, tomato, green onion, and cook until the mixture is just
- Ladle into bowls, garnish sparsely with the cilantro, seeds, and avocado, and
- Pass separate bowls of the garnish.