Chili con Queso Soup
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chiles, drained, seeded and chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained, seeded and chopped
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter until soft.
- Add chiles and tomatoes. Cook 10 minutes, stirring, until liquid evaporated.
- Stir in cream cheese. When cream cheese has melted, add broth, half and half, lemon juice and cayenne.
- Add salt to taste. Cover and heat to serving temperature; do not boil.
- Serve with tortilla chips, salsa and guacamole.