Boulani is a baked or fried, stuffed bread. It is made by filling a square piece of dough with a garlic-chive mixture and folding it diagonally into a triangle. Traditionally it is filled with gandana (similar to garlic-chives) and served with a yogurt sauce. Gandana is available at Middle Eastern markets. Scallions, however, make a good substitute.
- 1 package ready-made, large size egg roll skins, removed from the package and covered with a dish towel to prevent drying filling
- 4 cups chopped scallions or garlic-chives (gandana)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 bird or serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon mint flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups plain yogurt, beaten
- Combine all the ingredients for the filling using a rubber spatula (do not use
a food processor as it makes it too liquid) and set aside.
- To make the yogurt sauce, combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a mixing
bowl and set aside.
- To fill the boulani, lay out a wrapper on your work surface. Place 2 heaping
tablespoons of the filling in a diagonal corner of the wrapper and moisten the edge
with a little water. Fold the wrapper over to form a triangle, and pinch and crimp
the edges. Place the finished boulani, separated from each other, on a baking sheet
lined with parchment paper. Cover with a dish towel to prevent them from drying
out and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook.
- To cook the boulani, heat 1/4 cup oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium
heat, until hot (330 to 375 degrees F). Fry for 1 minute, on each side, until they
are a light golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Serve right away with the Yogurt Sauce on the side.
Boulani is best eaten hot.
Source: Lior's Kitchen Talk
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.