Bongatsa (Custard Filled Pastry)
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted, clarified butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
- 9 cups milk
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Cream of Wheat
- 3/4 cup Cream of Rice
- 9 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- Confectioners' sugar
- Butter an 11 x 8-inch pan.
- For custard, in saucepan over low heat, bring milk, sugar, the 1 1/2 cups butter
and vanilla extract to near boil. Stir constantly, gradually adding cream of wheat
and cream of rice. Stir until thick. Empty into bowl to cool.
- Place layer of phyllo and brush with melted butter. Continue until half of sheets
are used. Wrap remaining phyllo in plastic to keep from drying.
- Beat eggs; add to cooled custard mixture. Pour into pan. Lay leftover sheets
in same manner. Cut into 6 equal strips, then sprinkle with water. Bake at 325 degrees
F for 45 minutes.
- When cool, cut into diamond shapes and drizzle honey or syrup sparingly over
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and cinnamon.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.