Chicken with Olives
This excellent Middle Eastern dish is a particularly Moroccan specialty.
- 1 large roasting chicken (about 4 pounds)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound green or black olives
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, or more
- Wash the chicken and wipe it with a damp cloth.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add about 3/4 cup water very gradually, stirring
- Add onion slices, sprinkle with salt, pepper, ginger, and paprika, and
lay the chicken on top. Cook over low heat, covered, for 1 hour, turning the chicken
frequently. Add a little more salt if necessary, and the finely chopped onion, and
cook for 1/2 hour longer.
- Pit the olives. Put them in a pan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil,
and leave for 1 minute. Drain off the water and repeat the process. This will remove
- Add the olives to the pan and cook with the chicken for a few minutes
- Just before serving, squeeze a little lemon juice over the dish. Sometimes a
few pickled lemon slices are added just before serving.
- Serve with plain boiled
rice or couscous.
Source: A Book of Middle Eastern Food by Claudia Roden
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.