Katayef (Sweet and Delicious Dessert)
- 1 package Katayef (shredded filo dough)
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) sweet butter or margarine, melted
- 1 pound fresh ricotta Cheese
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon rosewater
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, fluff the Katayef until it is all pulled apart.
- Pour the melted butter over the Katayef and keep on fluffing so it is all mixed together.
- Grease an ovenproof dish and layer half of the Katayef dough on the bottom.
- Spread all of the ricotta cheese over the dough, and layer with the remaining dough.
- Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Pour syrup on top and serve.
- Sweet Syrup: Mix sugar, water and lemon juice in a saucepan and let boil for about 8 minutes.
- Add rosewater and continue to boil for another minute. Remove from heat, let
cool a bit, and pour over Katayef.