Lamb Tagine with Dates
(Tagine de Mouton aux Dattes — Morocco)
- 3 pounds boneless lamb shoulder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup whole pitted dates
- Toasted almonds
- Lemon slices
- Trim fat from lamb; cut lamb into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven until
hot. Cook and stir lamb in oil until all liquid is evaporated and lamb is brown,
about 25 minutes; drain.
- Stir in onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cinnamon and saffron; cook and stir over
medium heat 5 minutes.
- Stir in water and honey. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover
and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lamb is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Stir dates into lamb mixture; simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
- Spoon onto platter. Garnish with almonds and lemon slices.
- Serve with couscous if desired.