Lavash (Armenian Cracker Bread)
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Sprinkle yeast into warm water in a large bowl and stir until dissolved. Add
- Combine all-purpose and whole wheat flours and add enough to yeast mixture
to make a stiff dough. Turn out on a floured surface and knead until smooth and
elastic, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Shape into a ball. Place in greased bowl and turn to grease top. Cover andlet
rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down and let rise again until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll each out on lightly floured surface to very
thin circle about 9 inches in diameter. Place one at a time on baking sheet and
sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 5 to 6 minutes, or until bread
appears dry, lightly browned, and blistered.
- Place palest side under broiler until lightly browned.
- Cool and store in dry place.