- 1 cup brown lentils, washed
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup long-grain rice, washed
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 1/2 cups warm water
4 large onions, sliced
Vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
- In large saucepan with water, bring lentils to boil. Remove pan from heat and
let lentils sit 10 minutes, covered. Transfer to colander; rinse under running water
and drain thoroughly.
- In heavy pan, heat oil. Sauté rice and lentils over medium heat for 2 minutes,
until grains are well coated.
- Add salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric and warm water.
Bring to boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat, cover pan tightly, and leave on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Deep-fry sliced onion in 2 batches in hot oil until caramelized, stirring occasionally
and watching carefully so onions don't burn; this will take about half an hour.
- Serve fried onions as garnish over rice.
- Serve with yogurt on the side.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.