Moroccan Lemon Chicken
- 1 small chicken or pieces of breast or thigh
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, grated or finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- Handful coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Handful parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Peel from 1 preserved lemon, chopped
- Sauté and sear chicken in oil and then add all other ingredients except the lemons.
- Half cover with water and simmer gently until chicken is very tender and liquid
much reduced — about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Throw lemon peel into sauce, cook for a few more minutes and serve.
Lemons Preserved in Salt
4 ounces salt for each 2 pounds unwaxed lemons
Cut lemons in quarters, douse in salt and pack into a jar. Add squeezed juice
of several extra lemons. Press down and weight with a stone so lemons are all below
level of the juice that the salted lemons gradually exude. Leave to soften for 3
weeks to a month.
When you want to use them, cut away and discard the pulp, using
just the peel.