Moroccan Lentil and Chickpea Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pinch saffron (large pinch, crumbled)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, pureed
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup vermicelli, broken (or orzo or other small pasta)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- In large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in
onion and celery and cook, covered, for 7-10 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring
- Add cinnamon, turmeric, salt, pepper, ginger, hot pepper sauce and saffron. Cook,
stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, lentils, chickpeas and broth. Bring to boil,
reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for about 40 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in noodles and simmer, covered, about 7 minutes longer or until noodles
are just tender.
- In bowl, whisk flour and 1 cup water until smooth. Whisk flour
mixture into soup and simmer, stirring often, for 2-4 minutes or until soup is thickened
and no raw flour taste remains.
- Stir in half of the parsley and cilantro, and all of the lemon juice. Taste and
adjust seasoning, adding up to 1/2 teaspoon more salt if needed.
- Garnish with remaining parsley and cilantro.