Persian Date Cake
- 3 cups pitted dates
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup ground unsalted pistachios or shredded coconut
- Toast walnuts in skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place a few walnut pieces inside each date. Arrange dates, packed next to each other in a flat 9-inch serving dish.
- In large deep skillet, sauté flour in butter over high heat, stirring constantly for about 15 to 20 minutes, toasting until it is golden caramel color.
- Spread hot dough over dates. Pack and smooth it with back of a spoon.
- Combine cinnamon, sugar, cardamom and sprinkle evenly over cake. Sprinkle with 1 cup ground pistachios or shredded coconut all over. Cool.
- Cut into small square pieces. Arrange on serving platter or on plate in which it was made.
Source: Lior's Kitchen Talk