Stuffed Meat Loaf
(Kibby Bil Sanieh)
- 1 1/2 cups bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 pound ground lamb or beef
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Cover bulgur with cold water; let stand 10 minutes. Drain; press bulgur to remove
- Mix lamb, onion, salt and pepper; add bulgur. Knead until well mixed.
- Prepare Stuffing: Cook and stir all ingredients until lamb is light brown, about 5 minutes.
- Press half the lamb-bulgur mixture evenly in an ungreased 8-inch square pan.
Cover with Stuffing; spread remaining lamb-bulgur mixture evenly over stuffing.
Cut diagonal lines across top to make diamond pattern. Pour butter over meat loaf.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F until brown, about 40 minutes.
- Cut into diamond shapes; serve hot or cold.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings