Tabbouleh (Lebanese Salad)
- 2/3 cup bulghur
- 4 thinly sliced scallions
- 2 cups coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley (cilantro)
- 1/4 cup shredded mint
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the bulghur in a small bowl. Add water to cover and leave to soak until
tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain the bulghur through a cheesecloth-lined sieve. Gather up the cheesecloth
around the bulghur and squeeze to extract as much water as possible.
- Transfer the bulghur to a medium-size bowl and add the scallions, parsley, mint
and tomatoes. Mix well.
- To make the dressing, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and salt in
a glass jar with a plastic screw-top lid and shake well to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently until evenly coated. Cover and
chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl before serving.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 93 calories; 2 gm protein;5.1 g fat, 49%
of calories (Saturated fat - 0.8 g, 7.7% of calories; Monounsaturated fat - 3.6g,
34.6%; polyunsaturated fat - 0.7g, 6.7%); 10 g carbohydrate; 3.4 g dietary fiber;
61 mg sodium; 2 mg iron; 0 mg cholesterol