Sticky Toffee Pudding (Australian)
- 3/4 cup pitted and chopped dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Additional heavy cream for accompaniment (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 11 x 7-inch
baking pan; set aside.
- Pudding: Place the dates in a bowl and cover with the boiling water; mix in the baking soda and vanilla extract; set aside.
- Whisk the flour and baking powder together in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well. Stir in the flour mixture and mix well; then add the date mixture and mix well. Transfer batter to prepared baking pan, spreading out evenly. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Toffee Sauce: Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the sugar and cream. Simmer gently for 3 minutes. Prick the top of the hot pudding with the tines of a serving fork and pour the sauce on top. Place under a hot broiler until it bubbles. Watch carefully, as it burns easily.
- Serve warm drizzled with heavy cream or, if desired, whip the unsweetened cream and dollop it on top of the pudding.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.