Lumpia (Philippine Egg Rolls)
Lumpia is a spring roll commonly found in Indonesia and the Philippines. Lumpia is a savory snack made of thin crepe pastry skin called a "lumpia wrapper" enveloping a mixture of savory fillings, consisting of chopped vegetables and minced meat. It is then fried to a crispy golden brown.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 cups water, less 2 tablespoons
- Salt, to taste
* You may use store-bought lumpia wrappers instead of making your own.
- 3/4 pound ground pork or beef
- 8 ounces raw shrimp, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can bean sprouts, well drained
- 1/2 cup raisins, chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil
Pineapple-Ginger Lumpia Sauce
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2-inch cube ginger, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- To make wrappers, combine flour, water and salt to taste and mix thoroughly with a wire whisk to remove lumps. Batter should be about the consistency of crepe batter. Add a little water if it is too thick. If the batter thickens as it sits, you may have to add more water.
- Heat a 6-inch crepe pan and wipe out with lightly oiled wax paper.
- Pour on batter quickly to cover the bottom. Pour off excess. Allow to cook over low heat until the edges begin to curl and pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove and place on clean, dry surface. Repeat, oiling pan each time. Do not stack wrappers on top of each other until each has cooled.
- Before filling, cut off excess batter to make a perfect circle.
- To make filling, cook pork or beef in a large skillet until pinkness is gone. Drain off grease.
- Add shrimp, onions, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, celery, garlic and carrot; cook until carrot is almost tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except the egg white and oil. Mix well. Cook until bean sprouts are limp.
- Pour mixture into strainer and cool, allowing as much liquid as possible to drain off before filling rolls.
- Use about 1 heaping teaspoon for each wrapper. Place filling near one side. Roll wrapper over filling a couple of times; fold in sides and roll up tightly. Seal flap with a little egg white.
- Deep fry in vegetable oil heated to about 375 degrees F until rolls are golden.
- Drain thoroughly on paper towels and serve with sauce.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.