Ukrainian Grated Potato Bake
A potato pudding that is tender and airy inside and crispy on the outside. Serve
with sour cream, sautéed onions, or lingonberry preserves.
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 pounds new potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup light cream or half-and-half
- 3 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- Sauté the bacon in a medium-size skillet over medium heat until it renders its
- Remove from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the skillet.
- Add the onions and
sauté, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until deeply colored, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Grate the potatoes coarsely by hand or in a food processor using a coarse grating
blade. Wash in several changes of water. Squeeze the potatoes well in a clean linen
or cotton kitchen towel to remove as much liquid as possible. Rinse and squeeze
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine the potatoes, sautéed onions, bacon, cream,
and egg yolks.
- Season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold into the potato mixture, using a rubber spatula.
- Carefully transfer the mixture to a well-buttered round 10-inch
baking dish or heavy oven proof skillet.
- Dot the top with butter.
- Bake until the top is browned and crispy and potatoes are tender, 45 minutes
to 1 hour.
Serves 6 to 8.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 3/21/2002 10:49 am.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.