Finnish Rye Bread (Suomalaisruisleip )
To serve this loaf, cut it into wedges, and spread with butter or soft, mild
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water* (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cups medium rye flour
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Butter or margarine, softened
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl.
- Stir in brown sugar, oil, salt and 1 cup of the rye flour. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough all-purpose flour to make the dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto surface that has been sprinkled with the remaining rye flour.
- Cover; let rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn
greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour. Dough
is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- Punch down dough; shape into a round, slightly flat loaf.
- Place in greased 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pan.
- Cover; let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake until loaf sounds hollow when tapped, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Immediately remove from pan.
- Brush top of loaf with butter; cool on wire rack.
* Potato water can be substituted for the water. This is the water in which potatoes
have been cooked. This is traditional for Finnish Rye Bread.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.