Norwegian Spinach Soup
- 2 pounds fresh spinach (or frozen, chopped spinach)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 hardboiled eggs, sliced
- Wash spinach thoroughly; drain and chop coarsely. (If you're using
frozen spinach, defrost it and drain thoroughly.)
- Place a sieve or strainer over a large bowl; set aside.
- In a large saucepan or soup pot, bring broth to a boil.
- Add spinach. Simmer for 8 minutes, then pour into sieve or strainer,
catching the stock in the bowl.
- Press the spinach with a spoon to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Set the stock aside.
- Chop the spinach very fine.
- Melt the butter in the saucepan or soup pot.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the flour.
- Using a whisk, slowly add the hot broth, mixing well.
- Return pan to heat and bring broth to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add spinach, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Cover pan, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve soup garnished with slices of hard-boiled egg.
Serves 4 to 6
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.