Asado a la Peruana (Peruvian Pot Roast)
This is wonderful served with mashed potatoes and the wonderful gravy the roast
makes while cooking.
- 10 to 12 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1 (4 to 4 1/2 pound) boneless round tip roast
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (for browning roast)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 medium onion, chopped into 1 1/2-inch slices
- Cornstarch mixed with water, as needed
- Mash fresh garlic. Mix garlic well with cumin seed and 1 teaspoon each of
salt and pepper to make a paste.
- With a knife, cut 1-inch deep slices around roast (slices should be 1 1/2
inches apart. Stuff the slices with the garlic mixture.
- In a large pot with a tight-fitting lid, heat the oil. Add the roast and
brown it well on all sides. When the roast is browned, pour in the tomato sauce
and wine and enough water to bring the liquid level to the middle of the roast.
Add onion with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stir well, without removing
the roast from the pan. Cover pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer
over low heat, turning the roast every 15 to 20 minutes. When the meat is done,
about 2 hours, remove it from the pot.
- Add cornstarch mixed with water to gravy, as needed, to thicken.
- Serve sliced roast with gravy and mashed potatoes.
Makes 6 servings.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.