Brazo de Gitano
("Gypsy's Arm" Rolled Sponge Cake)
This is a classic Spanish chocolate cake-rum roll.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar*
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar until thick and smooth.
- Stir in flour, cocoa and vanilla extract. Blend well.
- Whip egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Fold into yolk and flour mixture.
- Butter a 15 x 8-inch baking pan. Line with baking parchment
paper or wax paper. Butter well again, and dust lightly with 2 tablespoons of the
- Pour batter into the pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then turn onto a cloth to cool.
- After 10 minutes peel paper off.
- Combine whipped cream, rum and sugar. Adjust to taste.
- Spread over cake and roll
cake like a jellyroll, starting with the long edge.
- Sprinkle with remaining confectioners' sugar.
- Serve in slices.
* Superfine Sugar: Put desired amount of granulated sugar in a blender and blend
at high speed for about 30 seconds.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.