Italian Sausage Calzones
Calzones can be baked and refrigerated up to 2 days in advance.
Reheat at 350 degrees F until hot, about 20 minutes.
- 1 1/4 pounds spicy Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
- Garlic Butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package hot roll mix
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- For Filling: Remove sausage from casing.
- Sauté sausage in large skillet, breaking up with fork, until sausage is cooked and browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Drain well and set aside.
- For Dough: Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make hot roll mix according to package direction for pizza, replacing egg and butter with hot water and olive oil. Let dough stand 5 minutes. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into an oval about 5 by 7 inches. Place 1/4 cup of Italian cheese blend in center of each oval. Top with 1/3 cup cooked sausage. Spoon 1 tablespoon pizza sauce over sausage. Sprinkle with another 1/4 cup cheese. Bring up edges of dough and seal securely. Transfer calzones to lightly greased baking sheet, placing seam side up to form a "football" shape.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Set calzones in a warm place to rise, covered with towel, 25 minutes. Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- For Garlic Butter: In a small skillet, heat butter and garlic over low heat until butter is melted and garlic is tender, about 3 minutes. Remove calzones from oven when lightly browned. Brush hot calzones with garlic butter and sprinkle each with 1/2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Return to oven until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before erving.
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe credit: American Dairy Association
SAVORY WRAPS RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.