Pecos Pitas with Pistachios
- 1 (11 ounce) can Mexicorn, drained
- 2 medium zucchini, diced (1/2 pound)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canned diced green chiles (or jalapenos, if preferred)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped California pistachios
- Iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned black beans or red kidney beans
- 4 pita pocket breads
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 cups shredded cooked or canned chicken
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped California pistachios
- Lime Vinaigrette
- 4 pita bread rounds
- 1 cup julienne pared jicama or pared, seeded cucumber
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup bottled roasted red pepper or pimiento
- 1 cup low-far or nonfat bottled Italian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Vegetarian Pitas: Toss corn, zucchini, chiles and 3/4 cup pistachios together with half the Cumin vinaigrette.
- Warm pita pockets in 350 degrees F oven for about
3 minutes, then halve and fill each half with lettuce, tomato slices and 1/3 cup corn mixture. Add a spoonful of beans to each.
- Place on plates; drizzle remaining dressing over filling and sprinkle with remaining pistachios.
- Cumin Vinaigrette: Combine vegetable oil, cider vinegar, sugar and cumin
seed in measuring cup. Stir vigorously to blend.
- Chicken Pitas: Toss chicken with half the pistachios and enough Lime Vinaigrette to moisten.
- Warm pita pockets in 350 degree F oven for about 3 minutes, then halve and fill with chicken mixture.
- Add jicama, avocado and red pepper.
- Place on plates; drizzle remaining vinaigrette over filling and sprinkle with remaining pistachios.
- Lime Vinaigrette: Mix Italian salad dressing with grated lime peel and lime juice. Shake to blend.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutritional Analysis Amount per Serving: Calories 310; Total Fat (g) 15; Saturated Fat (g) 2; Monounsaturated Fat (g) 5; Cholesterol (mg) - Sodium (mg) 510; Potassium (mg) 470; Total Carbohydrate (g) 37; Dietary Fiber (g) 6; Protein (g) 10
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 6; Vitamin C 10; Calcium 6; Iron 15; Vitamin E 25; Thiamin 25; Vitamin B-6 20; Folate 20; Phosphorus 15; Magnesium 15; Zinc 6; Copper 15; Selenium 15; Manganese 30
Recipe and photo used with permission from: California Pistachio Commission
SAVORY WRAPS RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.