Power Breakfast Bowls
Start the day strong with this savory whole grain breakfast bowl that includes sliced portabella mushrooms and a curry yogurt tahini topping. We’ve used barley, but feel free to swap it with your favorite grain such as quinoa or wild rice.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 heads baby bok choy, sliced
- 1 cup pearled barley, cooked according to package directions
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 4 large eggs, fried
- Yogurt Topping: Heat the olive oil in a medium-skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the kale and cook for 2 more minutes, until wilted. Let cool to room temperature.
- Spoon the yogurt into a small food processor or cup of a single serving blender. Add the tahini, curry powder, and salt. Add the kale and garlic. Pulse in 10-second intervals until the kale is finely chopped and all ingredients are combined. Set aside.
- Breakfast Bowls: Start by heating the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium-skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and toss to cook in the oil for 5 minutes, until they become tender. Toss with the salt. Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and add the bok choy to the hot skillet. Cook over medium-heat for 1 minute, until it begins to wilt. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the breakfast by adding an equal amount of barley to each of four bowls. Top with greens, sliced mushrooms, and red bell pepper. Add a large dollop of the topping and place an egg in each bowl. Serve right away.
Yield: 4 servings | Prep: 30 min | Cook: 20 min
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
The Mushroom Council
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.