Baked Whole Garlic with French Bread
- 4 cloves garlic, left whole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 French bread loaf, sliced and heated
- 6 ounces cream cheese or soft cheese (optional) or 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim the tops of the garlic heads, leaving them whole but removing about 1/4
inch. Remove excess dry skins. Rub the heads with a little of the butter or oil
and put in a very small baking dish or crock the size of the four heads. Drizzle
with the rest of the oil or butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover loosely,
reduce heat to 275 degrees F and bake for 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake for
about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Slice and heat the French bread (optional) in the last
10 minutes of the baking garlic.
- To serve: Spread French bread with soft creamy cheese (optional) or butter and
squeeze clove by clove onto the bread and spread it.
Per serving: 634 Calories (kcal); 40g Total Fat; (55% calories from fat);
10g Protein; 60g Carbohydrate; 78mg Cholesterol; 992mg Sodium
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine 6/26/01 8:52:12 am.