Cheese, Apple and Walnut Scones
Jen Barney's creativity dazzles customers at her La Crosse, Wisconsin-based shop, Meringue Bakery. It also dazzled the nation when she won the 2017 Food Network Holiday Baking Championship. Put her creativity to work for you with this irresistible take on
scones starring creamy baby Swiss and havarti cheeses.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 2 1/2 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 2 ounces Henning’s Baby Swiss cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 2 ounces Henning’s Havarti cheese, diced (1/2 cup)*
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup peeled, chopped green apples (about 1 large apple)
- 1 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 12 thin apple slices, unpeeled
* Any brand of Wisconsin swiss or havarti can be used.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 15 x 10-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place flour, baking powder and salt in a food processor; cover and pulse until combined. Add cold butter; cover and pulse just until butter pieces resemble the size of peas. Set aside.
- Combine swiss, havarti, walnuts and chopped apple in a large bowl; stir in reserved flour mixture.
- Pour 1 cup cream over the cheese mixture; gently toss with a fork just until a dough forms. Divide dough into 6 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 3 1/2-inch circle; transfer to prepared pan.
- Combine the remaining cream and egg in a small bowl; brush over dough. Press 3 apple slices into each circle. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Serve warm with honey.
Yield: 6 scones
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.