Cranberry Scones 2
These are my favorites, I usually sprinkle the tops with a bit of sugar before
I bake them.
- 2/3 cups buttermilk or plain yogurt, your choice
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold sweet butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Measure the buttermilk in a 2-cup glass measuring cup, beat in egg with a fork.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, mixing well
with a wire whisk.
- Add the butter and cut in with a pastry blender or with your
fingers, until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Add cranberries, sugar and orange peel and toss lightly to distribute evenly.
- Add the buttermilk mixture and stir with a fork until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead 5 to 6 times, just until
- Form dough into a ball and cut into 8 wedges. Form each wedge into a ball and
place on an ungreased cookie sheet, brush tops with the softened butter and sprinkle
with some sugar on top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack.
- Let cool for 1 hour before serving.
- Serve with butter, or your favorite preserves.
Yield: 8 scones
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 24, 2001.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.