Baked Apple French Toast Casserole
3 large green apples
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
12 ounces cream cheese
12 slices firm bread, any flavor
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Cinnamon to taste
- Set rack in lower third of oven and heat to 350 degrees F. Butter a 13 x 9-inch
- Core and cut the apples into thin wedges, leaving the skin on.
- In a skillet, melt the butter with brown sugar and 1 tablespoon water. Add the
apples and cook stirring for two to three minutes. Transfer to the baking dish and
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes and arrange evenly over the apples. Cut the slices
of bread in half diagonally and layer over the apples to cover the whole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Pour the
egg mixture over the bread, taking care to dampen all of the bread. Sprinkle with
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden and puffed.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
>> Breakfast Casserole Recipes