Add spice to your holiday breakfasts with these tender, moist, gingery pancakes.
- 2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup (2 1/4 ounces) Hi-maize® Fiber*
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) buttermilk powder**
- 1/3 cup (2 ounces) minced crystallized ginger
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (16 ounces) milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, melted
* Add Hi-maize to increase beneficial fiber; if you don't use it, substitute 1/2 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour.
** Substitute 2 cups liquid buttermilk for the buttermilk powder and liquid milk, if desired.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients to blend.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, pumpkin (see variation below), and butter until blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until blended.
- Heat a griddle to 350 degrees F, or a frying pan over medium heat. Coat lightly with oil. Drop pancake batter onto the griddle (a muffin scoop or batter dispenser works well here), and cook until pancakes are browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes; they'll form bubbles on their top surface, and the edges will begin to look dry. Turn and brown the other sides.
- Serve with butter, syrup, and diced crystallized ginger or ginger spread, if desired.
Yield: 16 (4-inch) pancakes, 4 to 5 servings
Ginger-Pumpkin Pancakes: Add 1 cup (8 1/2 ounces) pumpkin purée and reduce the amount of milk to 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces).
Ginger-spice pancake shortcut! Prepare our Buttermilk or Multi-Grain Buttermilk pancake mix, adding 1/3 cup minced crystallized ginger and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Cook pancakes as directed above.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: King Arthur Flour