- 1 (1 pound) box confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 to 1/4 cup Crisco
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 scant teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, or flavor desired
- Mix all ingredients together and beat at medium speed with mixer for 7 to 8 minutes,
or until smooth and lump-free. Stop, then beat again. If too thick, add drops of
water while beating until of desired consistency.
- Tint icing the color or colors
desired using a paste cake coloring such as Wilton. Regular food coloring tends
Icing or icing leftovers will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator. To use later,
beat again to make smooth. A little water may need to be added. Icing may be spread
directly on cake or piped through decorative tips.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.