Butter Cream Decorator Icing
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk* (or water)
- Cream margarine and shortening.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Gradually add sugar, one
cup at a time, beating well. Scrape sides of bowl often.
- Add milk and beat at medium
speed until light and fluffy.
- Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until cake is iced, or keep in
an airtight bowl for up to 2 weeks.
- Bring to room temperature and re-whip before using.
Yield: 3 cups
Chocolate Icing: Add 3/4 cup cocoa or 3 squares of unsweetened chocolate,
melted; add an additional 1 -2 tablespoons milk.
Hint: Milk makes the icing "crusty"; water will keep the icing soft.
You can also add 3-4 tablespoons light corn syrup to make it spreading consistency.
Pineapple flavoring is also excellent.
For fancy cake decorating!