German Fruit Cake
This is a very popular fruit cake using three different
flavors of preserves. It really is very good.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup cherry preserves
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves
- 2/3 cup pineapple preserves
- 1 cup pecans, cut coarsely
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter and flour two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf
pans or one Bundt pan.
- Mix buttermilk with baking soda and set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar and eggs until light.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add creamed mixture alternately with
buttermilk and baking soda mixture.
- Fold in the remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing.
- You may sift confectioners' sugar over cooled cakes if desired.