Double Chocolate Lava Baby Cakes
- 3/4 cup butter
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 recipe Praline Sauce (see below)
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup pecan halves,
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour six 1- to 1 1/4-cup
dishes or six 10-ounce custard cups. Place soufflé dishes or custard cups in a shallow
baking pan and set pan aside.
- In a heavy small saucepan melt butter and semisweet chocolate over low heat,
stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare Praline Sauce, cover and keep warm until needed.
- Praline Sauce: In a heavy medium saucepan granulated sugar, brown sugar and corn
syrup. Stir in whipping cream. Cook over medium-high heat until boiling, stirring
constantly to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes or until
thickened, stirring occasionally.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract with an
electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Beat
in cooled chocolate mixture on medium speed.
- Sift flour and cocoa over chocolate
mixture; beat on low speed just until combined. Divide batter evenly into prepared
dishes or cups.
- Bake 10 minutes. Pull cakes out of oven. Using a small spatula or table knife,
puncture top of each partially-baked cake and gently enlarge to make a dime-sized
hole. Slowly spoon about 1 tablespoon Praline Sauce into center of each cake.
cakes to oven. Bake 5 minutes more or until cakes feel firm at the edges.
- Cool in dishes on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Using a small spatula or knife,
loosen cake edges from sides of dish or cup and slip cake out upright onto individual
- Stir 1/3 cup toasted pecan halves into the remaining Praline Sauce.
If necessary, stir 1 to 2 tablespoons hot water into remaining sauce to thin.
warm Praline Sauce on top of cakes.
- Top with pecan halves and sweetened whipped
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings; 1 cup Praline Sauce
Nutritional information: 1 serving: Calories 700; Fat 48g (Saturated 21g);
Cholesterol 302mg; Sodium 281mg; Carbohydrate 67g (Dietary Fiber 1g); (Protein 8g)
Source: Better Homes and Gardens