Applebee's Santa Fe Stuffed Chicken
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 (8 ounce or larger) package Monterey jack cheese,
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper
- Cut some of the cheese into 8 slices, and reserve part of it for the cheese
sauce. Place 1 chicken breast between two sheets of wax paper. Working from
the center to the edges pound with a meat mallet until flat and rectangular
shaped. Repeat with remaining breasts. Wrap the flattened chicken breasts around
cheese. Secure with wooden picks or uncooked spaghetti noodles.
- Combine the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, cumin and pepper. Roll
the secured chicken pieces in the melted butter and then in the bread crumb
mixture. Place chicken breasts in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish, but don't crowd
them. Drizzle the remaining butter over all eight of the breasts. Refrigerate
for 1 hour or freeze to bake later (baking time will be increased by about 5
to 10 minutes).
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree F (205 degree C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes
or until chicken is done.
- Make a roux with butter and flour. Add about 1 cup milk. Bring to a simmer.
Add cheese and lower the heat, stirring constantly so cheese does not burn.
Add milk as needed to thin out the cheese sauce. Dice bell peppers.
- When chicken is done, pour some cheese sauce over top and sprinkle with
Yield: 4 servings