Brennan's Creole Martini Caesar Salad
Brennan's restaurant won first place in the Most Creative category in the 1999 Caesar salad competition. This, created by executive chef Carl Walker, was published Nov. 3, 1999.
- 1 1/2 cups Brennan's Creole Caesar Dressing
- 2 ounces pepper vodka (recipe developed with Absolut)
- 2 heads chilled romaine lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 prepared garlic cheese straws
- 6 to 12 Fried Crabmeat Olives
Creole Caesar Dressing
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces anchovies
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups cottonseed or other vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper sauce
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Fried Crabmeat Olives
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/3 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat
- 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot red pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion
- 6 pitted black olives
- 12 capers
- All-purpose flour
- Add vodka to Dressing; shake to combine. Toss Dressing with lettuce.
Arrange in large martini glasses. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Add a
cheese straw to each glass as a stirrer. Garnish each glass with
a Fried Crabmeat Olive skewered on a toothpick. Use 1 or 2 olives
per salad. Makes 6 servings.
- Creole Caesar Dressing: Combine garlic, Parmesan, anchovies, lemon juice, egg and mustard
in a food processor or blender; mix well. Add Worcestershire and
vinegar. Slowly add oil through processor cap until dressing thickens
to desired consistency. Season with pepper sauce, salt and pepper.
Makes 2 cups.
- Fried Crabmeat Olives:
Heat oil in medium skillet almost to the smoking point. Add onion;
sauté a minute, then add bell pepper, celery and garlic. Sauté until
- Add crab to vegetables. Then add seafood seasoning, pepper
sauce, Worcestershire and Parmesan. Heat through. Mix in egg as
you take pan off heat, then return to heat for a few seconds while
stirring. Stir in bread crumbs and green onion; refrigerate, covered.
- Stuff olives with capers, 2 capers per olive. Roll olives in crab-cake
stuffing mixture to form 1 1/2-inch balls. Bread crab cakes by dusting
them with flour. Dip in egg and roll in bread crumbs. Deep-fry until
golden brown and hot in the center.
- To serve, arrange cheese straws and fried olives in martini glass.
Yield: 6 servings