Brio Romano Crusted Tomatoes
- 5 vine-ripe Roma tomatoes
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Wondra flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped parsley, plus additional for garnish
- Coarsely ground salt and pepper to taste
- 1 envelope dry ranch dressing mix
- Freshly shaved Romano for garnish
- Creamy horseradish sauce of choice
- Slice tomatoes and set aside.
- Combine bread crumbs, cheese, 1/3 cup parsley, salt, pepper, dressing
mix. Pour mixture into a shallow plate or pan.
- Heat oil for frying. Dust tomatoes with flour. Dip in beaten eggs,
shaking off excess, and then dredge tomatoes in bread crumb mixture.
Fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Garnish with parsley, cheese and serve with horseradish sauce.
Yield: 2 servings
Adapted from Brio's high yield recipe. Panko is sold in
Asian stores and some supermarkets. Wondra is finely ground flour
sold in tall, round containers.
Source: Brio, Winter Park Village, Florida