Harvey Moy's Shrimp Subgum Chop Suey
- 6 tablespoons corn oil or peanut oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 8 cups Napa cabbage (diced stalks only, no leaves)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 ribs celery hearts, diced
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots or 1 package (about 8 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 6 cups chicken broth (divided)
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup cornstarch mixed with 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound sliced roasted almonds (optional)
- Heat wok over high heat. Wok is ready when drop of oil sizzles in the pan. Put
corn oil in wok. Immediately add salt, then shrimp and stir-fry 30 seconds.
all vegetables, stirring constantly 30 seconds.
- Add 5 1/2 cups of the broth; cook
- To remaining 1/2 cup broth add sugar and sesame oil. Add this mixture to pan
and cook until shrimp and vegetables are just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Do
- Gradually stir in cornstarch mixture until sauce is thickened to consistency
of thick gravy. If needed, additional cornstarch/water can be added to thicken.
- Sprinkle with almonds and serve immediately with white rice.
Makes 6 servings.
Source: Harvey Moy's Chinese & American Restaurant - N89-W16754 Appleton
Avenue, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin