Moonlite BBQ Inn Burgoo
- 4 pounds mutton
- 1 (3 pound) chicken
- 3/4 pound cabbage, ground or chopped fine
- 3/4 pound onion, ground or chopped fine
- 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 (17 ounce) cans corn or 2 cups fresh corn
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3 (10 3/4 ounce) cans tomato puree
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like)
- Boil mutton in enough water to cover. Cook until tender, 2 to 3 hours.
- Discard broth and bones. Chop meat fine. Set aside.
- Boil chicken in 2 gallons of water in a large kettle until tender. Remove chicken.
- Add cabbage, onion, potatoes, corn, ketchup and 1 gallon water to chicken broth.
(If you are following the area cook's, add those ingredients now.) Bring to
- Meanwhile, chop chicken meat. Discard bones and skin.
- When potatoes are tender,
add chopped chicken, mutton, tomato puree, lemon juice, vinegar, Worcestershire
sauce, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 2 hours or longer, stirring
occasionally as it thickens.
Yield: 3 gallons
Some area cooks add dried beans or lima beans, tomatoes and a little boiled
shredded beef or wild game.
Source: Moonlite BBQ Inn, Owensboro, Kentucky
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.