Saltgrass Steakhouse Shiner Bock Beer Bread
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups Shiner Bock Beer (flat)
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water ( not hot )
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Add honey and stir. Mix
in wheat flour, salt and all- purpose flour in bowl. Stir in oil and slowly add
flat beer. Mix all ingredients together. Place dough on a floured surface and knead
for at least 10 to 15 minutes. The dough may need a little more flour added to it
if becomes too sticky. The finished dough will feel smooth and spongy and will not
stick to your hands.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic until it doubles in
size. Do not place dough in a draft or in an overheated area. The dough should be
left to rise at room temperature.
- When dough has doubled, punch down in the middle and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into four equal parts and shape into round loaves. Place loaves
on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Score twice on top of each loaf with a knife two
inches apart and about 2 1/2 inches long. Cover loosely with plastic wrap until
the loaves have doubled in size.
- Place in a preheated 350 degrees F oven, and bake for about 30 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings