Alfred Hitchcock's Quiche Lorraine
- 2 cups pastry flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 or 3 slices cooked diced ham
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 eggs
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Light grating of nutmeg
- 2 cups hot milk
- Tart Pastry: Work lightly together the pastry flour, butter, egg yolk, a pinch
of salt and cold water. Chill the dough for 1 hour, or until needed.
- Roll out half the dough to line the pie pan. Prick randomly with the point of knife and crimp the edge with the tines of a fork. Save remaining pastry for another pie.
- Filling: Scatter diced ham on the crust.
- Sauté sliced onions in butter until they are soft, but not brown; spread over ham.
- In a saucepan, beat four eggs with a good pinch of salt, cayenne and nutmeg. Gradually add hot milk, beating continually with a wire whisk. Continue to beat the mixture over a low fire until the custard begins to thicken. Pour it into the tart shell and bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until custard is set and the top is golden.
- Serve hot.