Betty Ford’s Curried Tuna Casserole
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium red peppers, julienned
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 cups hot chicken stock
- 1 cup hot milk
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch of salt
- 10 ounces small pasta shells
- 2 cups drained tuna
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 6 saltine crackers, crushed
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan; add shallots and garlic, and sauté lightly
for 1 minute. Do not brown. Stir in red pepper strips and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir
in flour and curry powder; cook, stirring constantly, until flour is well absorbed.
- Add hot stock and bring to a boil; stir until smooth. Add hot milk, pepper, Worcestershire
sauce, and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes; keep warm.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 7 minutes. Drain well
and transfer into the prepared casserole dish.
- Flake tuna into small pieces and spread evenly over the shells. Slowly pour the
sherry over tuna, then top with the warm sauce. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs and
- Bake on middle shelf of oven for 30 minutes, or until heated through
and lightly browned on top.