Atole de Canela (Warm Mexican Holiday Drink)
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup piloncillo (raw sugar sold in blocks) or brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup instant corn masa
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups milk
- In a two-quart sauce pan, bring 2 cups water, piloncillo and cinnamon stick to a boil.
- Dissolve masa in 1/2 cup water; add to pan. Return to boil; reduce heat to medium and continue to gently boil for 4 or 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add milk and continue cooking for 5 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Serve very hot in mugs.
Yield: 6 servings
by Chef Hernan Reynoso
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin