- 4 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces margarine, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
- 2 cups sifted or pre-sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover cookie sheets with baking parchment and set aside.
- Blend the butter and margarine with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer at the
- Add the vanilla and 1/2 cup of the confectioners' sugar, beating until combined.
- Mix the flour and salt.
- Gradually add the flour to the creamed mixture and beat it until a soft dough
- Add the walnuts and stir until incorporated.
- With your hands, form the dough into 1-inch balls and place them two inches apart
on parchment-lined pans. Press each ball slightly in the center. They will flatten
as they bake.
- Bake until cookies are golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Toss the warm cookies in remaining confectioners' sugar.
Yield: about 4 dozen cookies