California Lemon Crunch Dessert
Crust and Topping
- 1 (7 ounce) package shredded coconut
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 (8 ounce) containers lemon low-fat yogurt
- 1 (8 ounce) container regular or light frozen whipped topping, (thawed)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Topping: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place coconut in single layer in 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until coconut is lightly toasted, stirring after 12 minutes.
- Cool completely; set aside.
- Crust. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until creamy. Add combined
oats, flour, nuts, cinnamon and baking soda; mix well. Reserve 1 cup coconut for topping. Stir remaining coconut into crust mixture. Press dough evenly onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Filling: Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Spread mixture evenly over
cooled crust. Sprinkle with reserved coconut, pressing lightly. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours or as long as overnight.
- Cut into squares; garnish with lemon twists, if desired.
- Store covered in refrigerator.
Yield: 15 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Quaker Oats