Cinnamon Creme Brûlée
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 ramekins
- 12 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Heat oven 325 degrees F. You will need to place six 3/4-cup
ramekins in a large baking pan and have hot water ready.
- In a medium saucepan, scald the milk with the cinnamon sticks
then turn off heat, let steep for 30 minutes.
- Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl, mixing by hand until
the sugar has begun to dissolve. You do not want to over-mix
because it can put too much air into your cr me brûlée causing it to be fluffy rather than rich and creamy.
- Reheat the cream and remove the cinnamon sticks. Slowly whisk
the hot cream into the egg mixture, be careful because if added
too quickly it will cook some of the yolks and you will need to strain the custard.
- Divide the custard into the ramekins,
which have been placed in a large baking pan. Add the hot water to the pan just 1/4 to 1/2 way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake until the custard sets in the middle, approximately 35 minutes.
- Remove from pan and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, preheat broiler.
- Arrange ramekins on a baking sheet. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons sugar on top of each one.
- Broil the custards until the sugar browns, about 2 minutes.
You will want to watch this closely because it can easily burn.
- Serve immediately.