Pine Nut Stuffing
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery and tops
- 1 cup roasted pine nuts
- 3 cups cubed cornbread
- 4 cups slightly stale white bread, cubed
- 3 cups slightly stale wheat bread, cubed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chicken broth (to moisten)
- In a skillet, heat butter and shortening and then sauté onion
and celery until soft and onion is translucent.
- Add nuts and toss.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix cornbread, white and wheat breads.
- Add onion mixture, including butter in which vegetables
- Add eggs and mix well. Stir in sage, thyme and salt and pepper
- Moisten with chicken broth until stuffing forms a
ball when lightly pressed.
- Cover with foil and bake in a greased 11 x 7-inch casserole
dish at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, and bake until dressing is lightly browned on top,
about 15 minutes.
Yield: 16 to 20 servings