Strawberry Meringue Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the butter until
the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the egg yolks.
- Press onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a small mixer bowl at
high speed until foamy, about 45 to 60 seconds.
- Continue beating, gradually adding confectioners' sugar, until glossy
and stiff peaks form, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Spread the preserves over hot, partially baked crust.
- Spread egg white mixture over preserves; sprinkle with almonds.
- Continue baking for 22 to 27 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into bars with a sharp, wet knife.