- 2 (4 pound) chickens
- Leafy tops from one bunch celery
- 1 onion, cut into
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 onions, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 cans mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ripe olives, pitted
- 1 can lima beans, peas or corn
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- Salt and pepper,
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- The day before serving, place whole chickens in a large kettle with water to
cover, celery tops, one onion cut in large pieces, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring
to a boil; reduce heat and simmer one hour.
- Let chicken cool. Skim fat from broth; remove and discard onion. Remove meat
from bones in large pieces; set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use the chicken broth to cook the noodles. (You can save the broth afterward
and use it to make soup or other recipes that require chicken broth.)
- In a large skillet, sauté onions in the olive oil until tender; add green peppers,
mushrooms, garlic, chili powder, tomato sauce, olives and beans. Cook and stir several
minutes, until hot.
- Stir in cooked noodles; add Worcestershire sauce and salt and
pepper to taste.
- Transfer to two 13 x 9-inch casserole dishes. Arrange chicken evenly through
noodles. Top with grated cheese.
- Bake until browned, about 30 minutes.
You can prepare the casseroles entirely in advance and then just heat them
in the oven when you're ready to eat. Serve with a salad or vegetable.
Per serving: 508 cal, 25.2 g fat, 120 mg cholesterol, 34.4 g carbohydrates,
6.6 g fiber, 34.8 g protein, 592 mg sodium