I use a flat, round cast iron skillet to make these. Yummy!
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
heaping cup shortening or lard
- 2 cups warm water, or more
- Sift flour and salt. Mix in bowl with lard or shortening and add water gradually.
Usually it takes up to 3 cups. Knead well to make a smooth dough.
- Let dough stand for 20 minutes in an oiled plastic bag. (Keep dough covered
while making each tortilla.)
- Make into small 2-inch balls and roll with a rolling pin on a floured board
into a round disk.
- Cook on a hot, dry flat cast iron skillet, turning over once, until cooked
on both sides to your liking.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen, approximately 9 inches in diameter.
From the kitchen of Linda Ann Jolly.