Blueberry Picnic Bars
Base and Topping
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-inch square baking
pan with foil, letting ends extend above pan on 2 sides.
- In a large bowl, mix oats, flour, brown sugar, baking
soda and salt.
- Add melted butter and stir with a fork until evenly moistened
(mixture will be crumbly). Reserve 1/2 cup crumb mixture for topping.
- Press remaining mixture evenly and firmly over bottom
of ungreased, foil-lined pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes to set crust.
- Filling: In a small saucepan stir berries, sugar, cornstarch
and lemon juice over med heat until simmering. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until juices are no
longer cloudy, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon over crust.
- Crumble reserved crumb mixture over top. Bake for 30
- Let cool completely in pan.
- Lift foil by ends onto a cutting board. Peel off foil; cut into